Monday, February 22, 2010

Curly hair products?

I have naturally curly hair...lots of it, but the texture is fine. What can I use to get more controlled, separate curls and less fluff and frizz??Curly hair products?
Avon has a serious of products called ';CURL GODDESS';, which I like. Maxim has a product but I can't remember what it's called....comes in green containers/bottles/tubes that works really well. Also, Headdress by Nexus is GREAT! Also Fructise by Garnier.... I like their products especially the moose.Curly hair products?
bed head-curls rock or paul mitchell-round trip


both are creams that help define and smooth without being super crunchy :)
I too have curly hair, I use Mousse to tame it, any store brand is fine. If you are willing to pay a little more than the 2$ for a can of herbal essence mousse you may want to think of gettin the John Frieda frizz eaze serum. But I find no difference from that and the cheaper
Frizz - ease serum works wonders. Even some spray on and leave in conditioner separate and control my friz - dove makes a great one ( leave in luminizing mist/ advanced color care in the light pink bottle). ALways put products and style your hair when it is wet - you usually wont get a ';cruchy'; feel then. xxl volue weightless gel fructis - if used sparingly on wet hair smooths and seperates curls wonderfully. My hair might be totally diffrent than yours - point is use and try and see what works and feels best. If you really want controlled curls twist sections set your hair in bobby pins, even if its for an half hour or an hour before it is completelydry - setting, and the right product, you will have wonderful curls!
Well, I feel your pain. You've managed to describe my hair to a 'T'! I have a lot of very fine curly hair, and I've spent most of my life developing a soloution to the problem you've described. I can't imagine the amount of money I've spent and the frustration I've had solving this problem.





Most people can't identify with this problem since it flies in the face of what people usually recommend for fine hair. 99.9% of people who read or hear what I recommed think I'm nuts simply because what works for me would never work for them. Sadly, we are highly underrepresented in the market for hair products too. When I was living in Brooklyn in my early 20s I began to figure out how to solve the problem by using an ethnic hair gel that was made for black hair and was as thick as axle grease. It worked much better because it finally had enough weight to keep my hair from drying ';light and frizzy'; or ';blowy'; as I call it.





So I started experimenting with products that had sufficient weight to them, and yet, wouldn't make my hair look crunchy or tacky. The bottom line is that you need a moisturizer (leave in conditioner) and then follow with the right styling products at the right times. Once I figured this out, I had beautiful long ringlets without frizz, and many questions asking me how I accomplished this feat of wonder.





Here's my routine, roughly. Oh, and you can forget about mousse (too light) and I've found that most drugstore products don't work. The (precious) few that do work use words like ';Extreme'; in the description of the hold. I am sorry to report that I've had pretty mediocre results with drugstore products in comparison to the salon products that I've bought at the mall stores that sell salon lines (can't think of the shop names now). I always wait until there is a sale and then load up on the favorites and that saves me a lot of money.





I know this sounds like a lot of steps, but it's not a lot to do. Each step has importance, and they all work together. Honestly!





1. In the shower, use a wide toothed comb to untangle your hair while the conditioner is still in. Make sure you've gotten all the tangles out.





2. A leave in conditioner is very important, i've found, since it seems to attract the moisture necessary for a good curl. Ther are a lot out there, but my favorites include Humectress by Nexxus and Nourishing by Abba (If you want to save money on hair products, this is the step to do that. I am sure you can find an inexpensive leave-in conditioner at the drug store if you look). Towel dry your hair, then while it is still quite wet (but not sopping wet), start with the recommended amount on the bottle and adjust for hair length. For me, I need about a nickel sized portion. Use your hands to begin distribution about halfway down the hair, and then work upward until you're about an inch from your scalp. At this time, use your wide toothed comb and comb only a few times, just to verify that there are no snarls and to help with the distribution of the conditioner. Now put your comb away, and don't use it again (until you are in the shower) because nothing will screw up your hair more than brushing or combing it once it starts to dry.





Once I get to this point, I usually turn my focus to something else so that my hair starts to get less wet. The key here is to let it become ';less wet'; but not to wait until you're already starting to dry. I've found that once your hair is really starting to dry (as in, the hair is changing color and some of the ends and pieces are beginning to dry out) you have waited too long. If this happens, get out a spray bottle and re-wet it enough so that you can return to the damp, lightly wet stage.





Next, I use two products together, both of which do different things and are essential to the desired effect.





3. You need a heavy duty gel, like the silver canned Tigi Bed Head Power Trip gel, or another gel that is very sticky. I've tried gels that people say are ';heavy hold'; but they are a joke--they need to be VERY heavy hold and should be very thick out of the container, like Power Trip gel. I'm talking stiff and thick to the point where you can put it on your hand and turn it upside down and it doesn't run anywhere immediately. Many shops that sell salon products will let you sample products, and that is how I've discovered others. Another gel that has worked well for me is Graham Webb's Super Stick Straight, which is actually a gel designed for straightening hair. Believe it or not, these gels if they are stiff and heavy enough are very good choices because the ingredients that make straight hair smooth and frizz free will work the same way for curly hair and Stick Straight is one of the best.





Through trial and error you'll figure out how much you need. I had very long hair until recently, and I used about a nickel sized quantity of gel, but that might be a little too much for you.





4. Finally, with the gel in the palm of your hand, add a bit of silcone serum to the gel. My favorite is Farouk Biosilk Silk Therapy but I've used others that are almost, but not quite as good. You want to drizzle just a bit on, maybe the equivalent of a dime sized quantity. This ingredient is the secret weapon in having smooth, frizz free curls, but you must add it when your hair is wet along with the gel for it to work best. If you wait until its dry, you frizz it more by disturbing your hair.





Take those two products and rub them together so they are blended and then use your free hand to distribute a portion of the gel at a time. You want to coat the hair from root to end with the product, and as evenly as possible. I use my open palms to distribute the product across my palms, then add a bit more to the hair as I work through my hair to make sure it's even and well coated. Your hair shouldn't feel sticky, but I can feel a bit more weight to the hair.





5. Now I let my hair dry up to the point where it is almost dry. You should have a full curl pattern established. I find that letting it air dry is another important part in letting the curl pattern form without disturbance, and will help you have ringlets that don't frizz.





6. Finally, at the very last stage of drying, I bend over and use my hair dryer, focused at the roots. All I am doing is adding some heat and adding volume to the roots by ensuring they don't dry laying flat against my head. I dry the roots for three minutes or so, which finishes drying my hair, for the most part. If I skip the blow drying step, my hair is somewhat flat at the top, and depending upon the product, might have a little ';crunch'; in the hair, neither of which I like very much.





Your hair/ends may still be damp, but ignore drying the rest of your hair, and focus on the roots. I like to finish the last 30 seconds or so using the ';cool'; air button on my dryer, which seems to add a lot of volume and lock it in. Some people use a diffuser, but I don't. I find that if I wait until the curl pattern has formed and my hair is mostly dry, a diffuser is unnecessary. Also, it is very important that when you're blow drying, don't touch your hair, or run your fingers through it. Just use your dryer and avoid messing with your hair. Flip back over, and use a bit of hair spray to lock things in. Hair spray adds a little weight as well, and keeps things from moving around too much. I use the heavy hold sprays by the same Tigi line that the gel is from, or the Big Sexy Hair line.





Final note: In the past, I've found a precious few products that can actually replace both of the gel and serum, but they are far and few between, and still don't seem to perform as well as the combined gel and serum. However, in the quest for curly hair product perfection, I came across a couple cream products that combine some of the effects that you can get with the gel and serum together. Not as good, but they are a decent ';second place'; for me. Tigi's Curls Rock! works pretty well, but the best cream product I've come across (and had a very hard time getting my hands on) is made by a canadian company called AG and makes a product called re:coil. It's a pretty good one if you can get a hold of it.





Good luck! Feel free to contact me if you need help finding the right products or have a question.
use pantene prov for the shampoo and conditioner, and herbal essence curling mousse to make it extra curly cool!!!!
garnier fructise has a new product for curly hair. it keeps hair strong and shiny. try that!
The absolute best is a product called Curls Up from FX Special Effects. You can get it at any Walgreens, Wal-Mart, CVS, etc. You'll love it!
1) put a curl definer on it %26gt; john freida range from ';frizz ease';


2)put mousse on %26gt; loreal curl mouse


3) finish with a hairspray to give shine and hold together %26gt;pantene ice shine
Try using a good serum and products that are specifically for curly hair. Pantene has a great conditioner in a jar for curly hair. John Frieda has good anti frizz products as well as sprays for bouncy curls. I use a serum, and either a diffuser to dry my hair or let it dry naturally. Use some spray to I find when I use a blow dryer I end up looking like a Q-tip. Then just use a pick or your fingers to gently arrange the curls.
okay, i've tried SO MANY products out there...but the best ones are:





1. John Freida (although a bit expensive)


2. Tressemme


3. Garnier Fructis
Pantene has a product for almost every type of hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment